The Marietta Daily Journal - Newcomer challenges S E Cobb incumbent

The Marietta Daily Journal - Newcomer challenges S E Cobb incumbent

I am stepping carefully here, but I feel compelled to discuss the school board races in Cobb. Last night I attended a Candidates' Forum at Walton High School between Scott Sweeny and Dr. Rick Welkis. I was appalled at how few people turned out. Then I read an article in the AJC that said that fewer than 20% of the voters turn out for school board races! In Cobb, the school board controls around a billion dollars when you add their budget and the SPLOST money! More importantly, they control the education of our children. I would think this is enough of a impetus to make people care, but last night showed me that I could be wrong. We are all invested in some way to our school system. Parents, children, teachers, employees, taxpayers, businesses, and homeowners. Surely we all fall into one or more of these categories, so we should care who is on that board. Please get involved, research the candidates, and for gosh sakes, VOTE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment