Court Backs District in Disclosure of Teacher's Medical Condition

Court Backs District in Disclosure of Teacher's Medical Condition

This court decision scares me!

The courts have said that the private medical conditions of teachers can be released publicly if they are part of an investigation. That sets a dangerous precedent. I can see a future where all types of personal information can be made public. Imagine a teacher with HIV and that being made public. Even if the teacher is great, how many people will pull their children out of that teachers class? Will the teacher ever have privacy again? Be able to teach?

I also worry about this personally because I suffer from Fibromyalgia. I have had days were I had to call in sick because of it. This court found that using her sick leave for fibromyalgia and then being in church was abuse. If it is the stress of teaching that makes the fibro flare up, it is entirely conceivable that the joy of church service could enable the teacher to feel better.

It is the small court cases that we need to pay attention to. They are the ones that change our lives dramatically.

No comments:

Post a Comment