Want reform? Why not ask teachers for ideas?

Want reform? Why not ask teachers for ideas? This is such a simple idea, actually have the people who teach have input into reform!! Would we make rules/instructions for surgery without asking doctors? Would we make instructions on how to fly a plane without pilots who actually fly the planes?

I am constantly amazed at the fact that everyone but teachers thinks they know how to fix education. Why? Just because you were a student, you have no real idea what goes into education. Just because I have been a patient doesn't make me qualified to tell the doctor how to operate. If everyone is qualified to teach, why did I bother to get a masters degree in education? Why have I taken more classes to work towards a doctorate? I could have just decided I wanted to be a teacher because I have been a student, much simpler and cheaper!

To all those that have decided they know how to fix education, particularly the politicians who support the idea of teacher report cards, come spend an entire day teaching special education, small group and inclusion, at my school, Griffin Middle School in Smyrna. See how much the attitude of the children matters. See how poverty affects the ability to learn. See what not having English spoken at home does to there reading ability. See how much the teachers work to make learning fun, sometimes without success. See how being cursed out by children affects your moral and effectiveness. See what fear of accusations does to your classroom discipline. I could continue but really, do I have to? It is common sense that apparently isn't as common as I had hoped!

No comments:

Post a Comment